Thursday, August 30, 2007

Can't Sleep, Con Will Kill Me: Crazy Banzai Update (And 1+ More Reason I Hate Printing)

Ahhhh, so close to the time to go! Just thought I'd post one more report on our con progress before I wrap up work projects and get us on the road.

All the pillows are ironed; Leeshee's last needle broke last night, but in spite of that most are sewed. (We might drag along the sewing machine to the con, if they don't get done in time.) Over half the bishies are stuffed; yay for Melissa! I spent most of my night last night getting the raffle item ironed and cut out. I printed more business cards, I just need to cut them now; will probably haul along the paper cutter too. Have a few more posters to print and need to see if he buttons ordered made it in time to my mailbox.

Other than that (and seeing if my laundry is dry) am basically ready to go! though I have my huge list of things to do on our way out of town, too. Tonight will be spent clothes shopping (yay Leeshee's work discounts and my huge freelance paycheck arriving!) and sewing up pillows in our hotel room; it will just be the two of us, so should be extremely peaceful. If the hotel doesn't have Cartoon Network, the History Channel, or at least a few good movie channels, I will cry.

Sad, half of our group is now no longer going. But Leeshee and Meliss and I will hopefully have a blast. And I definitely want to go to one nice sit-down restaurant while we are in town; either Squatters or Atlantic as I mentioned before, or maybe Sigried's if we are feeling cheap. And all are within a 2-3 block radius of the hotel; awesome location. =) Not sure what we will do for food the rest of the time; we'll probably pick up some snacks too on our way out (ooh, better add that to my list!)

Am so excited; hopefully it will be a small but great con. See you there!

::

I hate printing, I really do. Getting the files set up properly, and hoping and praying stuff doesn't go wrong, or if it does you can fix it fast, and not screaming out loud at how much that headache just cost, is tied for me on the pain scale with telling a client you cannot make their deadline. The feeling of getting the finished product in your hands almost always makes up for it, though; it's like childbirth in that way.

Ooh, I like the analogy that drums up: the creation of the idea is the consummation, the making of the idea is the gestation, the printing is the childbirth, and picking up the finished project is holding the newborn child in your arms. Have you seen Waitress? It is exactly like that, though unlike her some people actually enjoy the consummation/gestation parts. anyway, I'm totally digressing; sorry.

So I talked to a sign printing place that prints on fabric, and they CANNOT print the bishy at that size. Or rather, they could, but it would cost $300 in a 1x set up fee, and then $60 to print the bishy. GAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! Obviously we cannot do that, especially for a simple raffle prize. I guess Dye Sublimation isn't cheap. I called a place that does sublimation wholesale, and with them it will be arounf $130. We were going to printit on cheap canvas at Kinkos, but THAT would be $90! So no go on all accounts.

Do not fret, my lovelies (though does anyone besides me read my blog?); we wil have a huge raffle prize. We decided to blow up the bishie and trace him onto felt, then iron all the pieces together. We are doing Inuyasha, since he has less colors and shapes to him than Roxas. He looks good, though one of his eyes is kinda wonky; we'll fix that before the con opens.

I'm so glad the raffle prize wirked out; I had this consuming need for SOME type of great raffle prize at our booth, and somehow we will have one. I stayed up late cutting out all of the pieces and ironing them, but is worth it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home